Room 8

Welcome back everyone, what a busy and eventful Term 3 we have planned!

We will be celebrating

• Science Week
  • Official Opening of the new $1M STEM facility
  • Book Week “Find Your Treasure” Week 5  (don’t forget your costume for the Book Week Parade)
  • 50th Anniversary of East Marden Primary School Week 5

Official Opening of the new STEM facility!
All parents and caregivers are invited to the opening of the new STEM facility. The Hon Vincent Tarzia MP, Member for Hartley is representing the Minister of Education and will be making a speech. Other special guests will include Rick Persse, Chief Executive of the Department for Education.
Date: Wednesday 29th August Time: 9:00am-10:00am
Where: STEM classrooms

Order of events

• Welcome by Val Perham Principal
  • Acknowledgment of Country
  • Official opening and speech by Hon Vincent Tarzia MP
  • STEM Ambassadors speech about “STEM learning”
  • Tour of STEM facility by STEM Ambassadors
  • Refreshments

SCIENCE WEEK AT EAST MARDEN!

Game Changers and Change Makers – How can we make our environment a better place and the scientific approach to future health outcomes in improving gut bacteria?

Science Week will be held in Week 3 for Receptions, Year 1 and Year 2 and in Week 4 for Years 3 – 7. Luckily our STEM partner, CSIRO Scientist Theo Almond will participate and guide some of our Science Week experiments in Weeks 3 and 4. Receptions and Year 1 will be investigating the latest scientific discoveries in how improved health is linked to healthy Gut Bacteria. They will participate in a big working model of a digestive system to observe how we digest our food. Receptions will go on to investigate how much fibre is present in different types of food to stimulate good bacteria and Year 1’s will create their own working model of the digestive system from go to woe! Year 2 Students are looking at making our environment a better place, investigating the disadvantages and pollution of plastics in our modern world and replacing plastic bags in their lunch boxes with fabric coated with beeswax to use as an alternative.

Remember to take a look at the school newsletter.

· Book Week Parade – 20th August 9.15am
· 50th Anniversary – 24 August 1pm – 5pm RSVP by Tuesday 21st August 2018
· STEM Opening – 29th August 9am – 10am RSVP by Friday 17th August 2018
· Staffing Update
· Parent Survey
· Medication Management update
· 2019 Sibling Enrolments
· Science Week
· Phonics Screening Check
· Sports News

And much more!

Our Term 3 ‘Foundation Overview’, was sent home in Week 1, if you have any questions or uncertainties please come and chat with me. Kate Holmes our wonderful 3rd year Pre-Service Teacher will be working in Room 8 for the next four weeks full time. Kate has done a wonderful job of getting to know our gorgeous children and has organised and delivered some fantastic learning experiences for our class in various learning areas of the Australian Curriculum. Please make her feel welcomed and chat with her regarding the teaching and learning in Room 8.

Also, if you have any old recyclable materials at home please bring them in, the construction material boxes are emptying fast… We need to top them up!! If you have Weetbix boxes, old milk cartons (cleaned), egg cartons etc. please bring them in. They can be placed in the construction material boxes under the two big blue tables just outside our door. The children in OPAL will be very appreciative, as they love to make, create and invent the most amazing and imaginative things with junk materials.

Thank you

FRIDAY 13th APRIL, last day of TERM 1. Early Dismissal 2pm. If you are unable to collect your child by 2pm please book them into After School Care.

DONT FORGET THIS FRIDAY 13th OF APRIL IS OUR SCHOOL COLOUR FUN RUN!!

Colour Fun Run – Receptions-Year 2 – 12:00-12:30pm, Years 3-7 – 11:00am-11:50am

Please dress your child in old clothes as the paints thrown will stain clothes. Please make sure your consent form is handed in asap so the whole class can join in on the fun. I will not be at school on Thursday 12th (morning) or Friday 13th, our wonderful relief teacher Mrs B will be taking the class for one and half days while I am at meetings. I hope the children have an amazing time participating in the Colour Fun Run.

Assemblies 2018

This year we are taking the opportunity to implement some new changes to the format of assemblies at East Marden Primary. Our aim is to make them shorter, interactive with a greater focus on sharing student learning. Students will be the primary innovators in planning, organising and presenting assemblies. Students will take a leading role in showcasing learning through focus areas with their buddy classes.

The school will be divided into two groups from years R-7 and assemblies will be held on alternate weeks on Fridays at 9am in the gym.
This term the first assemblies will be held on Friday (week 10) and Friday (week 11) at 9am.Let’s Chat over Coffee

Families are warming invited to join us for coffee and lots of friendly chatter! Don’t mess a great opportunity to connect with your school community after your child’s assembly.

Date: 6th and the 13th of April

Time: After 9am Assembly (9.50am – 10.40am)

Venue: School Gym

Contact: Kalai 0470 189 055 (any queries)

Assembly Group A
Classes Hosting
Term 1 Week 10
Room 32 and Room 17
Term 2 Week 4
Room 16 and Room21
Term 2 Week 7
Room 23 and Room 5
Term 3 Week 3
Room 12 and Room 1
Term 3 Week 7
Room 24 and Room 8
Term 4 Week 3
Room 30 and Room 7
Term 4 Week 6
Room 28 and Room 18

HARMONY WEEK!

Reminder: Friday 16th March

• Whole school parade 9:15am, please have children dress in traditional outfits or orange colours
  • Shared lunch with Room 7 at 12:15pm, all parents are welcome to join in on the fun
  • I will not be in as my son has his Sports Day. I have organised lovely Mrs. B to take the class for the day

Have a great weekend and I will see everyone on Monday, Happy Harmony Day!!

Look at what we have been learning in Room 8! We have been looking at numbers to 20 and the their value. These challenging learning tasks have demonstrated how we can be successful learners by always having a go and never giving up!! We have also been working extremely hard on creating a classroom that works together as one and shows great teamwork skills. We build together, we create together, we share ideas and guide each other in developing many new skills. We all have a positive mindset in room 8 and this is displayed through our excellent attitudes towards our learning. 

2018

Hello and welcome to Room 8’s Classroom Blog!

Here you will find notices, attachments, reminder notes and photos of what’s been happening in our classroom.

In Room 8, I have an open door policy, if you have any questions or concerns please come and chat with me. If you would like to speak with me privately you may organise to see me before school or after school on Monday, Wednesday or Friday. I can also be contacted via email @
meagan.thompson270@schools.sa.edu.au

Wow, I can not believe we are now in week 3 of Term 1. The children have settled well into the classroom routines and structures and have already learnt many new things. The children have really enjoyed starting our Phonics program to learn their sounds, rhyme, alliteration and syllables. They have had opportunities to practise their letters using whiteboards, play dough and other hands on experiences.

We have a very busy Term ahead and the children and I are excited about the learning that is going to occur in Room 8. I will hand out a copy of our Term 1 overview throughout the week, if you have any questions please come and chat with me. Below is a little about some of the learning that is happening in Room 8.

In English we have started a program called ‘Read it Again’, the focus will be on developing the skills of rhyme, syllables, letter sound knowledge, comprehension and many more early literacy skills. The children will be starting Phonics and looking at letter sounds and names as well as diagraphs. We will be gradually introducing and working with the first 25 sight words from the Oxford Wordlist which some of the children are already familiar with. Through shared reading and writing experiences we will begin to learn the features of a sentence and begin to sequence basic sentences. Our text type focus is recount, which we will explore through oral and written retellings. Reading experiences form a large component of our day in Room 8 and through shared reading we will begin to develop reading skills e.g. concepts of print, understanding of how books work, following a text and using illustrations to make meaning.

In Maths our big focus will be on Number Sense. The children will be engaging in a range of experiences to establish an understanding of the language and processes of counting. We will begin building the foundation for mental computation strategies through focusing on subitising. This is the ability to instantly recognise the amount of objects in a small collection without counting, for example the number of dots on a dice. The children will be working towards subitising to 10, counting in sequence and making connections between numerals, number names and quantities to 10. You may find that you won’t see a lot of work in the children’s Maths books, yet, you will see photos of hands on learning on our Classroom Blog or photos displayed in our classroom.

The children’s library borrowing day will be on Fridays to start with and this may change, if you could please ensure that your child brings their book back before this day so that they can borrow a new book each week.

In week 3 the children will start bringing home their reading books to practice beginning reading skills. The children are encouraged to independently change their reading book every day, however, they may want to keep the same book for two nights in a row to practice fluency when reading. Reading is our number one priority for homework. Please be mindful that we want reading to be an enjoyable time for you and your child. It is important to talk about the pictures on each page before reading the words, making personal connections with the text and most importantly comprehending what was read! The children will need your support with reading in the early stages.
Phonics homework is optional, yet recommended. We understand that your child may be tired after school/ participate in extra co-curricular activities outside of school.

Later on in the term, your child will be receiving Oxford Tricky Words to take home. These are words that cannot be ‘sounded out’ e.g. the word ‘the’, you can not hear the ‘t’ ‘h’ and short ‘e’ sounds, you just need to look and learn the word. There will be more information regarding the ‘Tricky Words’ later in the term.

Thank you for your support.

Ms Thompson.

NOTE FROM THE OFFICE.

You are invited to come along to school on Tuesday 13th February for our Acquaintance Night.
• Rec, 1 & 2 (6pm – 6.30pm) Students Classroom
• 3, 4 & 5 (6.30pm – 7pm) Students Classroom
• 6 & 7 (7pm – 7.30pm) Students Classroom
• Year 7 Room 27 Kristina Chong-Tenn (7pm-7.30pm) Library

Specialist Teachers
PE, Italian, Science & Arts
Time: 6pm – 7pm
Location OSHC

2017

Assembly Success!

Room 8 have done a wonderful job this week getting ready for and hosting the Junior Primary Assembly! I am very proud of all their efforts. Well done guys!

Monday is a public holiday and Tuesday is a student free day, so I will see you all Wednesday.

Miss W and Room 8

Welcome back to Term 2!

Week two already! My time has flown this term. I hope you all had a wonderful time during the break and it has been wonderful to hear all of the interesting things the students did during their holidays. It is also nice to see that they everyone came back to school ready to learn.

This term we will be focusing on Narratives in the Year 1 Unit. We have started focusing on adjectives and describing characters. This will tie into a very special event occuring into this weekend.

On that note, this Friday (12th May) at 11:05, Room 8 will be presenting an item at the Junior Primary Assembly. It would be wonderful to see you there!

Thanks, and I look forward to another busy and wonderful term!

Miss Wilamowski and Room 8

Harmony Week

It is the end of a wonderful Harmony Week, and the whole school has been very lucky to be involved in a wide range of activities, events and presentations, including the Harmony Week parade, a wonderful shared lunch, and performances and information from a Kaurna man named Allan and Pam from the Turban and Trust group.

Thankyou to everyone who sent food in or came in and helped at the shared lunch yesterday.

– Miss Wilamowski and Room 8

Swimming Week Information

Swimming week is nearly here, and there are a few small things I would like to remind people about before next week.

1. Please remember to send your child in with a towel, their bathers, goggles, dry clothes and any other items they might need for their swimming lesson in a bag that they can walk with.

2. We will be changing into our bathers at school then walking over to the Arc. Boys and girls with two piece bathing suits can choose to come to school in their bathers. We will change out of our wet clothes over at the Arc.

3. We will begin walking to the Arc at 12. Parents who have said they can supervise our walk and lessons are most welcome to come a few minutes earlier to help us get ready for the walk. Thankyou to all of the parents who have offered their time!

4. If you have any questions about this week, please let me know.

Thanks!

Wellbeing Performance

Today, Room 8 were lucky enough to experience a Wellbeing performance held in the hall. Our guest, Michael, talked to students about letting worries go, looking forward to things that are happening the next day, persistence, looking after others, and the importance of eating a good breakfast. He sang songs, and invited students up to help him perform. The children had a blast.

Here are all of the Year 1 classes pictured with Michael.

Harmony Week

Harmony Week will be celebrated in week 7, Tuesday 14th March until Friday 17th March.

There are many activities planned for the week, however there are two very important ones:

• Harmony Week Parade Tuesday  9.15am . Children are asked to wear orange clothes (the colour of Harmony Day) or their Traditional National Costume to school on that day.
  • International Food shared lunch Thursday 12pm. All students to bring a plate of savoury finger food from another country to share.

It will be a wonderful week.

Swimming

Our class will be swimming in week 8 (20th – 24th March).

Our lessons will run from 12:30-1:30pm.

As we are walking to and from the ARC we will need to leave school at 12pm, and will arrive back at around 2pm. This means that students eating times for lunch will be changed for the week to accommodate swimming.

We will be looking for 2 parent volunteers each day to walk with us to and from the pool! If you are able to help out please speak to Miss Wilamowski.

Thankyou to everyone who has returned their swimming forms.

Week 5/6 in Room 8 – Information and Recount writing.

Hello everyone! The term is now well underway, and we have been hard at work for the past few weeks.

Important information:

Spelling lists began going home in week 5, along with some suggested activities that can be used to help your child practice their spelling words. Spelling tests will happen on Friday mornings (unless there is a student free day/public holiday), when it will be the next school day.

Here are some examples of things you can do to practice your spelling words.

The students have had some wonderful learning moments over these past two weeks, including beginning to skip count using pattern rules, in 5s and 10s.

Students are also beginning to write their own recounts of their weekend. We are using a guiding form to guide our writing, and are working towards independently writing these recounts during Swimming week.

We had a wonderful time with our buddy class last week. We were given a STEM challenge that helped us practice our persistence – never giving up, and having a go! Our challenge was; build the tallest tower that you can using….20 pieces of spaghetti, 1m of string, 1m of tape, and 1 marshmallow.

Here is what we did.

Thanks,

Miss Wilamowski and Room 8

Week 3 in Room 8 – Information and our Maths Topic: Patterns!

It was wonderful to see many of you here at our classroom information night. There was a lot of information to get through, and I am still discovering things that we ran out of time for. As I remember things, I will add them to this blog.

Important information:

The Yellow Sight Word books went home last week, with all 404 Oxford Sight Words inside. Words that are highlighted are words your child knows. Words that are not highlighted are ones they need to practice.

Your child should only practice 6 words a night to help them memorise them.

A few children have completed all 404 words. Throughout this week, I will be adding some additional pages into their yellow book. On these blank pages, I will write words your child needs to practice that come from their reading or writing.

Thank-you to all the parents who have asked me these questions, it is great for me to think about the answers as well.

Maths: Patterns

This week the class began working on Pattern. Noticing and creating patterns is an important part of maths, and in week 3, we began by talking about what we already knew about patterns.

We discovered that patterns can be made with many different things, even our bodies by moving, clapping, stamping, even jumping!

We also discovered that patterns could be simple and complex.

Challenge: Have a look at this pattern Jordan made. How many different patterns can you see? (there are more than you think!)

Have a look at Scarlett’s pattern. It is a very unusual type of pattern!

I can’t wait to see what week 4 brings.

Miss Wilamowski and Room 8

Welcome to Room 8 – Miss Wilamowski and the Amazing Year 1s!

Welcome back to the 2017 school year. The students and I have had a very busy two weeks getting to know one another, and learning the rules and routines of our new classroom. The class have been working hard across the learning areas, but particularly in literacy groups. It has been wonderful to see the students working together with their group members to revise their learning and practice reading skills.

We read a wonderful book by Oliver Jeffers called “Stuck” and the class have brainstormed some very imaginative ways of getting all of the items out of the tree. Well done Room 8!

Don’t forget acquaintance night is Wednesday the 15th of February from 6:00 to 6:30pm and will cover important information about the school, and how Room 8 will run this year.

See you then!

Miss Wilamowski and Room 8

What has been your favourite thing we have done so far at school?

“I liked reading Stuck because it’s a very funny book” – Ruby

“I liked making goals. My goal was to learn how to say all the Pokemon names. I also liked playing the silly sentence game” – Kai

“I liked playing DinoDots because me and my group like playing it” – Scarlett

“Learning about our favourite places to play” – Dylan L