Room 8

2018

Hello and welcome to Room 8’s Classroom Blog!

Here you will find notices, attachments, reminder notes and photos of what’s been happening in our classroom.

In Room 8, I have an open door policy, if you have any questions or concerns please come and chat with me. If you would like to speak with me privately you may organise to see me before school or after school on Monday, Wednesday or Friday. I can also be contacted via email @
meagan.thompson270@schools.sa.edu.au

Wow, I can not believe we are now in week 3 of Term 1. The children have settled well into the classroom routines and structures and have already learnt many new things. The children have really enjoyed starting our Phonics program to learn their sounds, rhyme, alliteration and syllables. They have had opportunities to practise their letters using whiteboards, play dough and other hands on experiences.

We have a very busy Term ahead and the children and I are excited about the learning that is going to occur in Room 8. I will hand out a copy of our Term 1 overview throughout the week, if you have any questions please come and chat with me. Below is a little about some of the learning that is happening in Room 8.

In English we have started a program called ‘Read it Again’, the focus will be on developing the skills of rhyme, syllables, letter sound knowledge, comprehension and many more early literacy skills. The children will be starting Phonics and looking at letter sounds and names as well as diagraphs. We will be gradually introducing and working with the first 25 sight words from the Oxford Wordlist which some of the children are already familiar with. Through shared reading and writing experiences we will begin to learn the features of a sentence and begin to sequence basic sentences. Our text type focus is recount, which we will explore through oral and written retellings. Reading experiences form a large component of our day in Room 8 and through shared reading we will begin to develop reading skills e.g. concepts of print, understanding of how books work, following a text and using illustrations to make meaning.

In Maths our big focus will be on Number Sense. The children will be engaging in a range of experiences to establish an understanding of the language and processes of counting. We will begin building the foundation for mental computation strategies through focusing on subitising. This is the ability to instantly recognise the amount of objects in a small collection without counting, for example the number of dots on a dice. The children will be working towards subitising to 10, counting in sequence and making connections between numerals, number names and quantities to 10. You may find that you won’t see a lot of work in the children’s Maths books, yet, you will see photos of hands on learning on our Classroom Blog or photos displayed in our classroom.

The children’s library borrowing day will be on Fridays to start with and this may change, if you could please ensure that your child brings their book back before this day so that they can borrow a new book each week.

In week 3 the children will start bringing home their reading books to practice beginning reading skills. The children are encouraged to independently change their reading book every day, however, they may want to keep the same book for two nights in a row to practice fluency when reading. Reading is our number one priority for homework. Please be mindful that we want reading to be an enjoyable time for you and your child. It is important to talk about the pictures on each page before reading the words, making personal connections with the text and most importantly comprehending what was read! The children will need your support with reading in the early stages.
Phonics homework is optional, yet recommended. We understand that your child may be tired after school/ participate in extra co-curricular activities outside of school.

Later on in the term, your child will be receiving Oxford Tricky Words to take home. These are words that cannot be ‘sounded out’ e.g. the word ‘the’, you can not hear the ‘t’ ‘h’ and short ‘e’ sounds, you just need to look and learn the word. There will be more information regarding the ‘Tricky Words’ later in the term.

Thank you for your support.

Ms Thompson.

NOTE FROM THE OFFICE.

You are invited to come along to school on Tuesday 13th February for our Acquaintance Night.
• Rec, 1 & 2 (6pm – 6.30pm) Students Classroom
• 3, 4 & 5 (6.30pm – 7pm) Students Classroom
• 6 & 7 (7pm – 7.30pm) Students Classroom
• Year 7 Room 27 Kristina Chong-Tenn (7pm-7.30pm) Library

Specialist Teachers
PE, Italian, Science & Arts
Time: 6pm – 7pm
Location OSHC

2017

Assembly Success!

Room 8 have done a wonderful job this week getting ready for and hosting the Junior Primary Assembly! I am very proud of all their efforts. Well done guys!

Monday is a public holiday and Tuesday is a student free day, so I will see you all Wednesday.

Miss W and Room 8

Welcome back to Term 2!

Week two already! My time has flown this term. I hope you all had a wonderful time during the break and it has been wonderful to hear all of the interesting things the students did during their holidays. It is also nice to see that they everyone came back to school ready to learn.

This term we will be focusing on Narratives in the Year 1 Unit. We have started focusing on adjectives and describing characters. This will tie into a very special event occuring into this weekend.

On that note, this Friday (12th May) at 11:05, Room 8 will be presenting an item at the Junior Primary Assembly. It would be wonderful to see you there!

Thanks, and I look forward to another busy and wonderful term!

Miss Wilamowski and Room 8

Harmony Week

It is the end of a wonderful Harmony Week, and the whole school has been very lucky to be involved in a wide range of activities, events and presentations, including the Harmony Week parade, a wonderful shared lunch, and performances and information from a Kaurna man named Allan and Pam from the Turban and Trust group.

Thankyou to everyone who sent food in or came in and helped at the shared lunch yesterday.

– Miss Wilamowski and Room 8

Swimming Week Information

Swimming week is nearly here, and there are a few small things I would like to remind people about before next week.

1. Please remember to send your child in with a towel, their bathers, goggles, dry clothes and any other items they might need for their swimming lesson in a bag that they can walk with.

2. We will be changing into our bathers at school then walking over to the Arc. Boys and girls with two piece bathing suits can choose to come to school in their bathers. We will change out of our wet clothes over at the Arc.

3. We will begin walking to the Arc at 12. Parents who have said they can supervise our walk and lessons are most welcome to come a few minutes earlier to help us get ready for the walk. Thankyou to all of the parents who have offered their time!

4. If you have any questions about this week, please let me know.

Thanks!

Wellbeing Performance

Today, Room 8 were lucky enough to experience a Wellbeing performance held in the hall. Our guest, Michael, talked to students about letting worries go, looking forward to things that are happening the next day, persistence, looking after others, and the importance of eating a good breakfast. He sang songs, and invited students up to help him perform. The children had a blast.

Here are all of the Year 1 classes pictured with Michael.

Harmony Week

Harmony Week will be celebrated in week 7, Tuesday 14th March until Friday 17th March.

There are many activities planned for the week, however there are two very important ones:

• Harmony Week Parade Tuesday  9.15am . Children are asked to wear orange clothes (the colour of Harmony Day) or their Traditional National Costume to school on that day.
  • International Food shared lunch Thursday 12pm. All students to bring a plate of savoury finger food from another country to share.

It will be a wonderful week.

Swimming

Our class will be swimming in week 8 (20th – 24th March).

Our lessons will run from 12:30-1:30pm.

As we are walking to and from the ARC we will need to leave school at 12pm, and will arrive back at around 2pm. This means that students eating times for lunch will be changed for the week to accommodate swimming.

We will be looking for 2 parent volunteers each day to walk with us to and from the pool! If you are able to help out please speak to Miss Wilamowski.

Thankyou to everyone who has returned their swimming forms.

Week 5/6 in Room 8 – Information and Recount writing.

Hello everyone! The term is now well underway, and we have been hard at work for the past few weeks.

Important information:

Spelling lists began going home in week 5, along with some suggested activities that can be used to help your child practice their spelling words. Spelling tests will happen on Friday mornings (unless there is a student free day/public holiday), when it will be the next school day.

Here are some examples of things you can do to practice your spelling words.

The students have had some wonderful learning moments over these past two weeks, including beginning to skip count using pattern rules, in 5s and 10s.

Students are also beginning to write their own recounts of their weekend. We are using a guiding form to guide our writing, and are working towards independently writing these recounts during Swimming week.

We had a wonderful time with our buddy class last week. We were given a STEM challenge that helped us practice our persistence – never giving up, and having a go! Our challenge was; build the tallest tower that you can using….20 pieces of spaghetti, 1m of string, 1m of tape, and 1 marshmallow.

Here is what we did.

Thanks,

Miss Wilamowski and Room 8

Week 3 in Room 8 – Information and our Maths Topic: Patterns!

It was wonderful to see many of you here at our classroom information night. There was a lot of information to get through, and I am still discovering things that we ran out of time for. As I remember things, I will add them to this blog.

Important information:

The Yellow Sight Word books went home last week, with all 404 Oxford Sight Words inside. Words that are highlighted are words your child knows. Words that are not highlighted are ones they need to practice.

Your child should only practice 6 words a night to help them memorise them.

A few children have completed all 404 words. Throughout this week, I will be adding some additional pages into their yellow book. On these blank pages, I will write words your child needs to practice that come from their reading or writing.

Thank-you to all the parents who have asked me these questions, it is great for me to think about the answers as well.

Maths: Patterns

This week the class began working on Pattern. Noticing and creating patterns is an important part of maths, and in week 3, we began by talking about what we already knew about patterns.

We discovered that patterns can be made with many different things, even our bodies by moving, clapping, stamping, even jumping!

We also discovered that patterns could be simple and complex.

Challenge: Have a look at this pattern Jordan made. How many different patterns can you see? (there are more than you think!)

Have a look at Scarlett’s pattern. It is a very unusual type of pattern!

I can’t wait to see what week 4 brings.

Miss Wilamowski and Room 8

Welcome to Room 8 – Miss Wilamowski and the Amazing Year 1s!

Welcome back to the 2017 school year. The students and I have had a very busy two weeks getting to know one another, and learning the rules and routines of our new classroom. The class have been working hard across the learning areas, but particularly in literacy groups. It has been wonderful to see the students working together with their group members to revise their learning and practice reading skills.

We read a wonderful book by Oliver Jeffers called “Stuck” and the class have brainstormed some very imaginative ways of getting all of the items out of the tree. Well done Room 8!

Don’t forget acquaintance night is Wednesday the 15th of February from 6:00 to 6:30pm and will cover important information about the school, and how Room 8 will run this year.

See you then!

Miss Wilamowski and Room 8

What has been your favourite thing we have done so far at school?

“I liked reading Stuck because it’s a very funny book” – Ruby

“I liked making goals. My goal was to learn how to say all the Pokemon names. I also liked playing the silly sentence game” – Kai

“I liked playing DinoDots because me and my group like playing it” – Scarlett

“Learning about our favourite places to play” – Dylan L