Room 18

Have you ordered your Tote Bag?

Just a friendly reminder that you have until Thursday 21 September to order a lovely tote bag. The tote bags are decorated with self-portraits by students in in Room 17 (Mrs Pallotta’s class) and our class. They are a fundraiser for the school.

The tote bags are a great memento of your child’s time in Year 2 at East Marden Primary School and the friendships they shared. They also make great Christmas gifts.

If you are interested in purchasing a tote bag, please collect an order form at the Front Office. Payments can be made at the Finance Office.

You can see an image of the tote bag below:
 Tote bag sample

Happy Father’s Day

Happy Father’s Day to all the Dad’s out there. I hope that you enjoy some lovely family time with your children and like their hand-made gifts.

Assembly Week 6 Term 3

On Friday of Week 6, students in Room 18 hosted the Junior Primary Assembly. I was so proud of them for speaking clearly and confidently in front of an audience.

Students got to share some of the descriptive writing they did about their hand-made teddy bears. Everyone enjoyed making and decorating these bears in class. However, the purpose of making the bears was to provide a stimulus for descriptive writing. Students next tasks will be to create a Missing Poster for their bear and write a narrative where their bear is the main character. I look forward to reading their stories.

Thank you so much to all the parents who contributed to the making of the bears. Help we received included donations of material and decorations, the cutting out of material, the filling and sewing of bears and the sewing of the bears’ eyes and noses. This was a collaborative effort and I am sure you agree that the end results are fabulous!

Here are some photos of students presenting at assembly, and their bears.

‘Hands on Toys and Games’ Incursion

On 30 August students attended an incursion at school to learn about and play with toys and games from the past and present. Children had great fun learning about how over time the types of toys available to play with have changed as have the materials toys and games are made of. This incursion supported our History Unit about Toys and Games.

Our class was split up across 4 other classes so I apologise for the lack of photos!

Help Needed for Swimming in Week 8

Room 18 students will be participating in swimming lessons at the Arc Centre during Week 8. Lessons will take place Monday to Friday between 11:30am and 12:30pm. This means that we need to leave school at 11:10am and will return at approximately 1:10pm. I need two extra adults to help me walk with the children each day to fulfil safety requirements. If you can help me on any, or all, days please let me know as soon as possible. You can speak to me in class, leave a message in your child’s communication book or contact me by email (Kate.McDonald861@schools.sa.edu.au).

Thanks in advance! The children are very excited about going swimming!

Welcome to Room 18

Thank you to all the parents who visited our classroom on Acquaintance Night. I really enjoyed getting the chance to speak with you are share my learning plans for the term.

Here is a copy of the handout I provided on the night.

Acquaintance Night Document

What we have been up to…..

We have started learning about place value. In the game below, students were learning the difference between hundreds, tens and ones using popsticks. They rolled a die in turns. When they got 10 sticks they bundled them together and added them to the tens column. When they got 10 groups of 10 they bundled them together to create a group of 100. This hands-on experience helped students to understand the value of ones, tens and hundreds.